Mar 17, 2010
Posted by Patrick.C
No doubt, I love curry and grew up eating all kind of curry dishes. Curry chicken with potatoes is one of those delicate curry dishes that can be easily found in Malaysia. There are many variations of curry chicken; Chinese, Indian, Malay and Nyonya. If you are a huge fan of curry, you are not able to resist the temptation.
My mom makes good curry as she was a food hawker and I often ask her for recipes. It isn’t complicated to cook curry chicken with potatoes but you need to find the right curry powder or curry paste to give you the right taste. I mostly rely on the curry powder or instant curry paste which I brought from Malaysia but you still able to find the curry powder or instant curry paste easily in the Asian food markets.
I am trying to learn all kind of curry recipes nowadays. There are many versions of curry chicken, depending on the ingredients used in it. Today I’ve made my favorite curry chicken with potatoes to appease my thirst. It is always good to have curry especially it goes so well with steamed rice. Plus the potatoes make it more extraordinary.
1/2 cup curry powder
3 peeled potatoes (quarterly cut)
2 chicken leg quarters – 2 drumsticks and 4 thighs (cut into pieces)
1 chicken breast (cut into pieces)
3 shallots (peeled and sliced thinly)
2 lemongrasses (only white bottom part, pounded)
2 star anises
1 cinnamon stick
Some curry leaves (optional)
1/2 can coconut milk
4 cups water (use less water for thicker curry sauce or more for lighter curry sauce)
- Heat up a deep pot with 3 tbsp of oil. Sauté the shallots until fragrant.
- Add the lemongrass, star anises, cinnamon stick and curry leaves (optional) and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the chicken meat and stir until cooked.
- Add the curry powder, coconut milk, water and potato. Stir well for 2-3 minutes. Note: Make sure the water is enough to cover the ingredients in the pot.
- Lower the heat to medium and cover the pot and bring the curry chicken to boil. Then turn the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or so until the chicken are tenderized.
- Serve hot.