Sep 25, 2010
Posted by Bel.C
Happy Mooncake festival to my dear friends, hope you have a nice gathering with your family. Living in the US without family, we celebrate most of the Chinese festivals with our friends. So grabbing a bite of mooncake and just hanging around friends, nothing better than just chill. Back home in Malaysia, traditionally we will light up lanterns, eat mooncake with Chinese tea, and sometimes we will do hot pot. Here we basically just have simple dinner.
Anyhow I wanted to make Chicken Rendang (Malaysian Rendang Ayam) for a long time. This week I finally did it. Rendang is a dry curry version of stew meat dish, slowly cooked in coconut milk and other spices. It is an authentic Malay cuisine, yet a very popular dish served during celebrations or special occasions. The meats are stewed for several hours depending on the meats used. Chicken or duck uses shorter time, beef needs to cook for 2 up to 4 hours. The slow cooking process allows the meat becomes tender and absorbs all the spices and herbs. Some of the herbs used are galangal, tumeric, ginger, lemon grass and chillies.
However I haven’t really master Rendang recipe, so this time I only used premade Brahim’s Rendang paste my mum brought over from Malaysia. I have added additional spices to make it more flavoring. Rendang is even better when cooking for 2nd or 3rd day. It serves well with coconut milk rice or white rice. If you have a good Rendang recipe, please do not hesitate to share with me.
4 drumsticks or 1 Leg quarter & 1 chicken breast (cut into pieces)
2 stalks lemon grass (use only the bottom white part, pounded)
1 pack Brahim Rendang Paste
1/2 can coconut milk
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
a bunch of curry leaves
1-2 tsp sugar
Few dashes of salt & pepper to taste
2 red chillies
2 clove garlic
5 slices ginger
4 slices galangal
4 slices tumeric
Serve 2-4 people
- Finely chopped all chilies, shallots, garlic, ginger, galangal, tumeric.
- Heat a pot with 2 tbsp cooking oil over medium, add in lemon grass stir fry a bit, followed by chopped ingredients, chillies, shallots, garlic, ginger, galangal, tumeric, stir fry till fragrant.
- Add in rendang paste, cook over low heat for couple minutes.
- Turn to high heat, add in chicken pieces, stir fry and combine well.
- Add in coconut milk, bring to boil. Add in coriander seeds, turmeric powder, cumin powder and curry leaves.
- Simmer the dish over low heat for at least 1 hour to 1 and half hour, stirring ocassionally.
- Add in sugar, season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with Nasi Lemak or white rice.