Oct 13, 2010
Posted by Bel.C
Finally we cooked Nasi Lemak, a popular and authentic dish of Malay heritage. Nasi Lemak means “coconut cream rice” which is cooked in coconut cream instead of using plain water to give it a nice coconut aroma. You can add in Pandan or screwepine leaves for additional fragrance. Nasi Lemak is traditionally wrapped up with banana leaves with other sides such as roasted peanuts, hard boiled eggs, anchovies (ikan bilis) and most importantly the Sambal (chili).
For a more deluxe version, you can always order other entrees to go with it, such as Curry Chicken, Mutton Curry, Sambal Cuttlefish, Kangkung Belacan, Sambal Egg (mostly spicy dishes) and etc. You can find the recipes in the site and prepare to accompany the Nasi Lemak.
I’ve prepared the Nasi Lemak with Ikan Bilis Sambal (Anchovies with Spicy Chili Paste), serve with sides and the Ayam Rendang (Dry Curry Chicken). Loved it. Toast to the celebration of fall.
3 cups rice
1 can coconut milk
3 stalk Pandan leaves (knotted)
A pinch of salt
1 tsp cooking oil
2 crushed garlic clove
Sambal Ikan Bilis (Anchovies Chili Paste)
1 cup anchovies (cleaned, rinsed)
1 medium red onion (sliced)
3 tbsp cooking oil
2 tsp tamarind juice
1-2 tsp sugar
Salt to taste
To Ground ingredients:
5 red chilies
15 dried red chilies
1 tsp belacan
hard boiled eggs (cut in half)
Serve 4 people
- Wash rice then put rice into rice cooker with garlic, a pinch of salt, and pandan leaves(knotted). Pour in 1 can of coconut milk. Check the level of liquid and add water if necessary up to the correct level.
- Cook rice until cooked and loosen with rice ladle.
- Prepare the grounded Sambal ingredients.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium low, stir fry anchovies till golden. Set aside and drain.
- Add in grounded sambal into the wok over low heat, let sambal cook and separates from the oil, stir fry till fragrant.
- Add in fried anchovies, add in red onion slices and stir fry till soft, combine well.
- Add in tamarind juice, sugar, adjust to taste.
- Prepare hard boiled eggs cut into halves, slice the cucumber and roast peanuts.
Serve Nasi lemak and Ikan Bilis Sambal on a plate, with sides of hard boiled egg, cucumber slices, roasted peanuts and choice of meat entree.